Saturday, February 11, 2012

In transit...

This week flew! The days weren’t long enough to do everything I needed to do and see everyone I wanted to see, and my vicious procrastination problem didn’t help matters.  One nugget of advice to anyone preparing to take a long trip; do not wait until 6pm the night before a 7 am flight to attempt..
fitting this... 
... into this
















                   >>




It will make you want to cry.  With the help of my master traveller Dad and James  for moral support I managed to get it done.  Now I am sitting in Chicago O’Hare, running on about 2 hours of sleep, and bracing for my first trip to LA! 

I somehow upgraded to first class for this whole trip, also a first.  Did you know drinks are free and in flight meals actually taste good up there?! I will be back in the cattle car for the long haul to Auckland on Monday.  Another fortunate point of the trip was good company.   My first class flight mate was a man named Larry from my hometown who now lives in Napa as a wine vitner and international wine critic/consultant (holy perfect job).  How do people get so lucky?  His experience includes a stint in the marines, international business, a few years with Gallo, blabla…etc…  His bottom line: just work hard at what you love doing.  Good advice, but is it that simple?  He gave me his card, in case I need a job when I get back from NZ….

Sorry if I’m rambling, 2 hours of sleep, forgive me.  My goals for this trip are to become a master kayaker, to keep a positive attitude no matter what, and prove to myself I can do this… get empowered (like how it goes in those hallmark or lifetime movies).  Maybe when I get back I’ll have the guts to call Mr. Larry the California wine guru and ask for a job.   Jumping in headfirst can get you a broken neck, but sometimes that leap of faith is what it takes to get what you want.  


PS I found out my Mom is a really awesome rock climber yesterday.  Seriously. GO MOM!

1 comment:

  1. SO excited that you have started your awesome adventure! I can't wait to follow your blog while you're gone and live vicariously through you..until I arrive (hopefully!) :) love you & have a great & safe trip!

    ReplyDelete