Friday, February 3, 2012

Last day at Duke!!!

January flew by! I haven't appreciated how lucky I was to end up in Raleigh/Durham until now on the verge of leaving (holy crap I'm moving to New Zealand?).  First, best first job ever. My labmates, coworkers, boss, and other Duke staff are AMAZING, inspiring individuals! 

Counter Lab- I can't thank you all enough! In addition to learning  science and managerial skills, I've listened to a lot of new music, become a pro at "The Princeton Word Game", learned how to blow up a sink with dry ice and how far mice can jump, and tried REAL Chinese food.  I've been exposed to the healthcare system from many angles and the reality of Cancer.  Cancer affects individuals and entire families.  It also poses a serious, growing problem to society, but there are so many brilliant people working for a cure.  Donate, read, get educated.


No words can describe the past two years in NC with my new friends, brother, roommate, and boyfriend. To save you from verbose sappiness, you guys mean the world to me and THANK YOU!!!

People keep asking why I chose New Zealand.  Besides my love of traveling, studying abroad, and of course my two good friends there, this idea started on a flight to Maine last May.  I was sitting next to a Boston business man on his way back from a golf trip.  He told me about his two sons, beautiful wife, and the couple years he spent in Southeast Asia that changed his life.  He took off for Australia after graduation with 2.5K and a backpack.  He went all over till he ran out of money, and then got a job in Singapore where he worked till earning enough to get back.  Overall, the adventure took two years, but he met his wife, made great friends, and developed the plan for the business he owns today.  How can you not get fired up hearing a story like that?! I'm not expecting the same life changing experience, but how often do you get a chance to take the plunge and live somewhere completely different?  Not often. Bring it on!

Off to celebrate my last weekend at Raleigh at First Friday!!! Thanks for reading XO

No comments:

Post a Comment